Hair loss is a pervasive issue faced by men and women alike. The condition of hair loss is also termed as ‘alopecia’ in medical terms. It can occur owing to several reasons. Our hair passes through three stages of growth till it falls off. The first phase is referred to as the anagen phase. This is an active phase where the hair grows from the scalp and it can last for a period ranging from 2 to 7 years. The second phase called the catagen phase, follows the anagen phase during which, blood supply to the hair is cut off and the hair becomes a dead hair. It lasts for about 10 to 14 days. The last stage is called the telogen phase, in which the dead hair enters a resting phase. The dead hair falls out and the hair follicles remain inactive for a period of 2 to 3 months’ time.Every single hair on our scalp undergoes this cycle, which is repeated every time a hair falls out from the hair follicle. In a normal case, close to 90% of the hair on the scalp should be in the anagen phase at any given point of time, with only 10% being in the telogen phase. Hair loss or hair thinning occurs when this ratio deviates from its ideal mark. Hair loss can happen at any age and can result from a disease or may indicate towards the inception of some disease.
The Common Causes of Hair Loss
Although hair loss may be genetic, there are several factors that gradually lead to loss of hair, some of which are:
- Skin diseases like fungal infections can cause loss of hair.
- Hormonal changes including the period post childbirth and menopause.
- Deficiency of essential nutrients such as iron and protein.
- Recovery from a serious fever can lead to sudden hair loss.
- Usage of drugs in medications that are used to treat joint pains, cancer, depression etc.
- Any form of injury to the head.
- Constant grief and stress.
- Indiscriminate use of hair styling and heating products along with chemical products on hair.
- General diseases like diabetes, AIDS, and tuberculosis.
Types of hair loss
- Alopecia Areata: Hair loss, in this case, occurs in the form of patches and spots. This is regarded as a condition where the immune cells of the body mistake hair cells as foreign bodies and begin destroying them. This is why it is referred to as the autoimmune form of hair loss. It occurs mostly in people below the age of 20.
- Alopecia Totalis: Also referred to as baldness, the hair over the entire scalp is lost without any particular pattern.
- Telogen Effluvium: In this case, the hair follows a gradual thinning pattern. There is diffusion of hair growth due to early entry of the hair strands into the telogen phase.
- Androgenetic Alopecia: It is a pattern of baldness which occurs in males and females alike, owing to genetic and hormonal factors. Although, this form of hair loss is less severe in females as compared to males. The hair witnesses gradual receding of the hairline along the backside in male pattern baldness.
Now that we have seen in detail what hair loss is all about and what causes hair loss, it is imperative to understand the hair loss treatment that should be undertaken to control the severity of the problem and also to prevent it from occurring. While there are an ample number of female hair loss treatment and male hair loss treatment, it is best to adopt natural remedies for solving the problem of hair loss. Below is a compilation of hair loss solutions for men and hair loss solutions for women that can greatly impact the level of hair growth on your scalp.
How to Regrow Hair Naturally?
- Egg Mask: Most effective for dull hair, egg whites have miraculous healing properties for the hair. The action of the egg mask softens and rejuvenates your hair. It is high in proteins, zinc, sulphur, iron, phosphorous and iodine and helps in quick hair growth if used on a regular basis.
- Curry Leaves and Coconut Oil: Coconut oil is like the elixir of life for our hair. It is rich in fatty acids that bind the hair proteins and give protection to hair from breakage. It protects the hair by deeply penetrating through the hair shaft. Curry leaves are very good when combined with coconut oil to protect the hair from breakage and also solves the problem of greying hair.
- Aloe Vera: Aloe Vera is not just good for your skin but also for your scalp. A simple application of the gel on the scalp can promote hair growth. It is rich in enzymes that de-clog hair follicles. It also acts as a natural conditioner for the hair and makes them soft and smooth.
- Indian Gooseberry (Amla): Amla gives the hair follicles enough strength and helps stimulate hair growth on the scalp. Amla also prevents hair breakage and split ends. The high content of vitamin C and anti-oxidants in amla lend these magical properties to it.
- Potatoes: Potatoes are loaded with essential vitamins, calcium, potassium and iron that rejuvenate your hair and bring life to dull and dry hair. It also prevents dryness and premature greying of the hair.
- Lemon Juice: A powerful home remedy for all your hair woes, lemon is perfect for controlling the frizz and oil in hair and promotes hair growth owing to the abundance of vitamins found in it.
Hair regrowth products are yet another powerful method for promoting hair growth on the scalp. They are best for use in case you do not have the time and patience to try the natural home remedies listed above. A good hair regrowth product is easy to apply and is completely safe for use. Some of the top hair loss products for women and men are:
- Bhringraj Regrowth Hair Oil: Enriched with the combination of groundnut oil, flax seed oil, coconut oil and bhringraj oil, this product from the brand OxyGlow is perfect for stimulating hair growth.
- Livon Hair Gain Tonic: This hair tonic is the best hair loss treatments for men and women. It can stop hair fall and promote hair growth in a short period of time. It contains active root energizers that have a powerful effect on the hair roots.
- Reddy’s Mintop Hair Fall Solution: With the regular application for over a month, this colorless tonic actually displays results. It should not be combined with any other oils.
- Khadi Ayurvedic Hair Regrowth Tonic – Henna and Thyme: Best for the treatment of dandruff and premature greying, it contains pure extracts of henna and thyme to reduce hair fall.
- Lotus Herbals Kera- Veda Grow Oil: This herbal oil is a pure concoction of Brahmi, bhringraj, harad, nagarmotha and padmakh extracts.
These methods can be adopted for hair loss treatment for men and treatments for hair loss in women. They stay true to nature’s side of treatment and have no ill effects on the hair or the body. Although these methods are tried and tested ways of promoting hair growth, you must have patience and let your hair take its time to show the desired results.
One might also opt laser treatment for hair loss for men and women hair loss treatment in favor of quick and instant results. Medical science has made enough advancement to enable laser treatment on the scalp to ensure control on hair loss. One such technique is Low-level laser therapy. It is extremely effective for controlling hair loss.
In any case, whatever treatment method you opt for, make sure that you follow it on a routine basis to get the desired results.