Surya Namaskar or the Sun Salutation Yoga comprises of a sequence of postures which helps to provide you with a good cardiovascular workout. When done at an extremely slower rate, these Surya Namaskar asanas can help to tone your body muscle and help you to relax and meditate. These asanas also help to make your body more flexible. There are numerous Surya Namaskar benefits that form a perfect link between warming up our body and performing intense yoga postures.
How to do Surya Namaskar: Best Sun Salutation Poses
These exercises have a powerful impact on the overall functioning of liver, heart, stomach, chest and legs. The yoga Sun Salutations help to improve your blood circulation and makes sure that the stomach, nerve centers, and bowel function perfectly. Today, we show you how to do Surya Namaskar perfectly on your own.
Pranamasana (Prayer Pose)
This pose helps to keep you calm, relax and meditate. To do Surya Namaskar step by step, follow the following steps.
- Stand on the edge of your mat
- Place your feet against each other.
- Balance your body weight equally on each of your feet.
- Expand your chest muscles
- Relax your shoulders.
- Breathe Oxygen in and lift both your arms up on the sides.
- Exhale out and bring your palms to the front of your chest in prayer position.
Hastauttan Asana (Raised arms pose)
This Sun Salutation sequence is highly beneficial to make your body more flexible.
- While breathing in, lift both your arms up.
- While doing so, keep your biceps close to your ears.
- Try to stretch your whole body as much as you can from your heels to your fingertips.
Hasta Padasana (Hand to foot pose)
One of the best Surya Namaskar weight loss poses, this exercise helps to exert a lot of stress on your lower back and abdominal muscles and help to tone them.
- While breathing out, bend down in the forward direction from your waist.
- Keep your spine erect while bending down.
- Completely exhale the air and bring both your hand beside your feet, down to the floor.
Ashwa Sanchalanasana (Equestrian Pose)
This Surya Namaskar mantra is highly beneficial for those people who have a rigid body and want to have more flexibility.
- Push your right leg back as far back as possible while breathing in air.
- Bring your right knee down to the floor.
- Look up towards the sky with your hands beside your hips.
Dandasana (Stick Pose)
It is one of the most highly effective Surya Namaskar poses help you in weight loss. To perform this asana, do the following:
- Take both your legs as far back as you can while breathing in.
- Bring your whole body in a line
- Keep your hands perpendicular to your body on the ground.
Ashtanga Namaskar (Salute with eight points or parts)
Among the most demanding poses of Surya Namaskar is the Ashtanga Namaskar pose which requires your full concentration to do rightly.
- Exhale the air out of your body while gently bringing the knees down to the floor.
- Next, slightly push your hips back slightly and slide forward.
- Make sure your rest you chin and chest completely on the floor
- Now, you need to raise your posterior by a little bit.
- Make sure all the eight body parts – two hands, two knees, two feet, chin and chest, completely touch the floor.
Bhujangasana (Cobra Pose)
- In a sliding forward posture, raise your chest a little to form the posture of a cobra.
- You can bend your elbows in this pose if you want but for it to be more effective, make sure they are straightened.
- Keep the shoulders away from the ears
- Look up toward the sky.
- Stretch your body as much as you can
Parvastasana (Mountain Pose)
One of the best Surya Namaskar for weight loss poses is the Parvastasana. You can do this pose by following these steps.
- While breathing out, lift the lower waist and hip region of your body.
- Keep your tailbone up.
- Point your chest downwards to form an ‘Inverted V’ Posture.
AshwaSanchalanasana (Equestrian Pose)
You can do this sun salutation pose by following these steps.
- Breathe in and bring your right foot forward between your two hands.
- Place your left knee down on the floor.
- Press your hips down to the ground.
- Look upwards to the sky.
Hasta Padasana (Hand to foot pose)
Follow these Surya Namaskar steps to do this asana properly.
- Bring your left foot in the forward direction while exhaling out air.
- Keep your palms firmly planted on the floor.
- If you feel more pressure, you can bend your knees else keep them as straightened as possible.
- Try to touch your nose to the knees.
Hastauttanasana (Raised arms pose)
- Roll your spinal cord up while breathing in oxygen.
- Take your hands upwards.
- Bend backward at a very small angle.
- Push your hips in the forward direction.
- Make sure that the biceps are right beside your ears.
- You need to stretch up rather than stretch backward in this asana.
One of the most effective Surya Namaskar postures to relax your whole body is the Tadasana.
- Exhale out air and straighten your body up.
- Bring your arms down by your body.
- Relax while maintaining this position and feel the sensations creeping up in your body.
The Last Words
To perform these asanas properly, you can also look out for Surya Namaskar photos and Surya Namaskar Video to improve. These asanas are very important as they help to bring a state of calmness to your mind and body.